Yes! If your recipient doesn’t have Virtru installed, they can use our Secure Reader to read your encrypted message, open any attachments and to reply back to you. There is no installation and no clunky process involved.
Simply check out our quick video to see what this process looks like for your recipient. We’ve also included the step-by-step instructions below so you can have a quick look.
Instructions to securely read the email:
1. Click the button labeled “Unlock Message”. A new tab will open.
2. Within this tab, you are asked to select your email account. If your email is not listed, click “My Email is not here” and enter your email information.
3. In order to verify your identity, you are given two options. If you’d rather receive an email to verify your identity, click “Send Me an Email.” Logging in with Google? Please skip ahead to Step 6.
4. You will receive a message instructing you to return to your inbox for the activation email. Please note that the activation email must be opened in the browser indicated in the email title.
5. The body of the email will contain a message with information regarding the activation process and the selected browser. Complete the activation process by clicking the button labeled, “Activate Me”.
6. A new tab titled “Secure Reader | Virtru” will open. Within this tab, you can now read the sender’s original message displayed in Virtru’s Secure Reader.
7. If you wish to respond securely to the email, you can either compose a quick reply at the bottom of the screen or click “Secure Reply” at the top.
8. At the top left of the Reply box, you can select whether to reply to the sender only or all of the recipients on the email by selecting the “Reply” option. After you finish composing your message, click “Send Secure Reply”.
If a recipient wishes to secure reply with an attachment, this can’t be done within the secure reader. To send a secure attachment, they will need to first install our free plugin.