Virtru never prompted me to activate after installing, and the add-in isn’t listed under the add-ins page in Outlook.
If the installation process is run As Administrator with UAC (User Account Control) turned off, the add-in will not appear or function in Outlook. To check if this is causing your issue, open your Run menu and type %appdata%. In the folder that opens, select Virtru > Virtru for Outlook > Logging and open the file “adxregistrator.log”.
Near the top of this log, you’ll see the following entries:
Run ‘As Administrator’:
UAC (User Account Control):
These values should be “No”, “No”, “Medium”, and “On”. If you’re instead seeing “Yes”, “Yes”, “High”, and “Off”, follow this procedure:
1) Open Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features and uninstall Virtru.
2) Open Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Change user account control settings.
3) Move the slider to the highest or second-highest position.
4) Find the file VirtruForOutlookInstaller in your Downloads folder.
5) Right-click that file and select Properties.
6) On the Compatibility tab, make sure that “Run this program as an administrator” is NOT selected. If you made a change, click “Apply”.
7) On the Security tab, select your user account and make sure that you have full permissions for that file (click Edit and select Allow for all actions, then Apply).
8) Run VirtruForOutlookInstaller.
If this still doesn’t work, check to make sure you have at least version 4.5 of the .NET Framework. You can download .NET 4.5 here. You can also try running the .NET Framework Repair Tool to ensure that your copy of .NET isn’t damaged. If you are still having issues, please don’t hesitate to contact Virtru Support. We’re here and happy to help.