Understanding the Differences Between Virtru’s Personal and Business Encryption Products
Everyone has a right to keep their digital content private and secure. We founded Virtru because we believe that exercising that right should be convenient and cost-effective.
Whether you need to secure sensitive HR, legal, or finance information for your business, or just protect your personal privacy, Virtru Basic (for personal use) and Virtru Pro (for business use and regulatory compliance) make client-side encryption easy:
- Virtru Basic – Client-side encryption for personal communications.
- Virtru Pro – Client-side encryption, enhanced security, and control features for business use and regulatory compliance.
Who Should Use Virtru Basic?
Virtru Basic offers simple, powerful, and completely free client-side email and file encryption for personal use. It’s the perfect tool for people looking to secure personal communications, such as:
- Transmitting passwords, social security numbers, and credit card information
- Sensitive exchanges with friends and family
- Loan, credit, and other applications containing financial data
- Exchanging personal intellectual property
- Avoiding service provider or government access to sensitive content
While Virtru Basic does not include any team, administrative, or compliance features, it uses the same powerful client-side encryption included with our business and enterprise products, and is not limited in any other way. With Virtru Basic, you can easily encrypt as many of your personal communications as you like–all for free.
If you or your organization need email or file encryption to comply with regulations like HIPAA, CJIS, FERPA, or CFPB, advanced control features (like revocation, expiration, forwarding control, read receipt), or administrative features like data loss prevention (DLP), you need Virtru Pro.
Who Should Use Virtru Pro?
Virtru Pro layers critical business and compliance features on top of the client-side encryption found in Virtru Basic:
- Deep integration with Google Apps for Work (now known as G Suite)
- DLP rules that automatically detect and encrypt sensitive info
- *HIPAA, CJIS, FERPA, and CFPB compliance agreements
- Support for distribution groups and alias accounts
- Custom-branded email templates for your recipients (Available for an extra charge.)
- Message revocation, expiration, forwarding control and read receipt
- Manage licenses for multiple Virtru users under one account
- Team support from Virtru engineers
*HIPAA Business Associate Agreements (BAA) are only available for customers who purchase our HIPAA Compliance Package.
Some of these features–distribution group support and administration of multiple users–are necessary for business use of any software product.
Other Virtru Pro components–DLP, persistent message control, and compliance agreements–provide functionality that is required by most data security and regulatory laws.
In addition to anyone sending with Virtru to team members, you should use Virtru Pro to share business communications or other information that needs to be compliant, such as:
Regardless of whether you’re using Virtru Basic or Virtru Pro, your information is always safe with Virtru–no matter where it goes. For more information on how Virtru balances powerful client-side encryption with unbeatable ease of use, check out our free technical white paper.
And give Virtru a try today, for whatever your need for encryption might be.